meta data for this page
How to get help for computer related problems
Remember that sometimes you get help faster from your co-workers and supervisor than faculty admin or university helpdesk. Specially if problem is related to specific software combination used only in your project.
University helpdesk is open at 8.00-15.45 from mondays to thursday and 8.00-15 at friday. You can contact them with many ways:
- Using email: email@example.com
- By Phone: 0294462580 (short number 62580)
- Through web form at address: https://forms.lut.fi/helpdesk/helpdesk_lomake.aspx
- Room: Visiting Origo helpdesk service point at university library
When to use university helpdesk?
- All problems related to windows based computer classes
- All os and general office software problems related to windows based workstations (including all microsoft products ex. visual studio, project and visio)
- All printing problems except things related to linux printing (even users of personal printers can make printing cartridge orders from helpdesk)
- All problems related to university IT services ex. email, university home directories and so on
- All problems related to university provided web applications ex. rondo, large list of university web services is located here https://intranet.lut.fi/resources/tyov%C3%A4lineet/Pages/Default.aspx
Ilmari Laakkonen is faculty admin at moment.
When to contact faculty admin?
- All problems related linux class, pentinkulma, room 6325
- All special software installation problems with windows systems, which university computer center does not want to do or can't do…
- Printing problems and configuration for linux systems
- Printing problems and configuration for Apple MacOS systems
- All problems related to departmental servers
- All problems related to department provided web applications ex. own web, fileshare, subversion, wiki services
- Departmental, laboratory or project purchases
How to contact Ilmari Laakkonen
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org address is default way to contact ilmari
- mobile phone: +358 40 822 4562 , if you need help fast, use phone.
How to make good helpdesk service request
Don't assume that your new support requests goes to same person than previously, usually helpdesks have more than one support persons receiving your support requests. If your new request is related to previous helpdesk requests please reply to old emails related to previous request (and don't remove ticket number in subject). Then that old support ticket is automaticly opened to same support person who handled it.
Describe your problem well, put following information to your requests (bonus info only if it's needed to solve problem):
- Your full name
- Clear description of your problem including error messages if you get one.
- Location of problem (room number, computer name, printer name, server and resource name and/or web address)
- Time when problem appears first time, is it repeatable? How?
- Priority for request, please mark your request to top priority only when really needed. Deadline for solving problem?
some bonus information to speed up problem solving:
- OS type if you think problem is some way related to os.
- Web browser type and version if you have problem with web services.
- Account name if you have problem with logins, email account or home directories.
- Have you rebooted your system and problem is still there?
- When you (or your computer) are available for checking and repairing if needed?
Nice people get better service than badly behaving jerks, this works almost anywhere and anytime, not only with helpdesks.