meta data for this page
Group 2 homepage
- Visa Ropponen
- Rafeef Basna
- Ibrahim Olanigan
- Iuliia Panova
Learning / working diary
Thursday Sep 18, GENERAL
- Locations of the nearest pharmacy
- Seasonal warnings of allergy breakouts
- Pregnancy stages
- Providing information about body changes
- Advices about taking dealing with these changes
- Accident-prone regions
- Provides information about accident-prone regions
- Provides information about least accident-prone regions
- Color codes to illustrate different areas
- Traffic jams (Helsinki region)
- Provides information about heaviest traffic streets
We have decided to do Transportation innovation about accident-prone regions and traffic jams
Collecting open data sources:
Find open data about traffic jam and accidents in Finland (by 25.9.2014)
Find information about needs and restrictions of the application area(For the next meeting)
Information from meeting the professor:
What to write and do in the wiki: - Work distribution -Log sheet of our meetings and about individual work
- Articles which are helpful for pointing out some important issue
- Other relative writings
- What are we learning/Learning process - Decision making process/Where does our decisions are based on?
About the work: - We should start to “generate something new” (innovation) - Can we bring something to Finland from over seas? - Relation to open data
Our Application is about transportation and traffic jams and work related to that: - Identification of the need
- Who are the users
- Who are the stakeholders?
- Why would our project interest investors?
- How are we going to approach this problem - Cost structure (How much this project cost) - Risk analysis - How we are producing end product - What is the business model - SWOT?
Meeting: Visa, Ibrahim, Iuliia
Discussion: - Work distribution
- Visa does: SWOT, Business model
- Iuliia: Open data, risk analysis,
- Ibrahim: Identification of the need
- Rafeef: Cost structure and how we are producing end product
The idea is to design a navigation system extension. It's primary function is to determine the level of traffic by comparing the relative speed of nearby cars with the speed limit of the incumbent region. This system can be extended using open data to warn users of traffic-prone as well as accident-prone regions. The initial phase of development would focus on the Helsinki region.
There's a Russian map domain which provides real-time traffic and accident information in St. Petersburg. It uses color codes to differentiate between various level of traffic. Live Traffic in St. Petersburg
This is an innovative product that would be very valuable for users and likely investors in Finland.
Identification of need
- Who are the users
- Car drivers
- Truck drivers
- Bus drivers
- Who are the stakeholders?
- Car owners
- Private transport companies.
- Why would our project interest investors?
The notion that this would be an innovative product in Finland should be a big seller. “Time is money” as often stated. The ability to save time while commuting would interest many investors as saving time is many atimes akin to saving money, or at least prevent unnecessary and avoidable expenses that might result from time delay.
Feedback from Presentation
- There is not enough market research done while generating the business idea. It was discovered that HERE maps (by Nokia) and Google Maps (by Google) provide real-time traffic information.
- The business model is flawed due to the issue mentioned above. It is expected that users would be adopt a new application/service when they already use those that satisfies their needs. However, there is a possibility that it can be well adopted if we change our business model or innovate with our product that brings new values to existing consumers of similar products.
- Some of the figures in our risk analysis do not correlate with statistics already made on the adoption of new applications of various types.
- It is important to do extensive market research while working on idea generation. It is critical to the potential success of the business idea to have a good awareness of similar products and services that already exist in the market, what they offer and what business opportunities exists in that market. This would ensure that the business idea generated would have strong possibilities of creating a good niche in that market or (at least) have a good advantage over its potential competitors.
- User participation plays a key role in the process of idea generation. It is important to get the opinion of potential users on various aspects of a business idea to point us the aspects that would be appealing or not.
- It is equally important to use reliable statistics when doing risk analysis. The more reliable the data used are, the more accurate the risks involved can be analyzed.
- It is of utmost importance to pay attention to details during product development. As the software market is becoming more saturated, it is critically important to have the full scope of how a product being developed would have a (strong) chance at making profits despite the competition available.
Material used by group
Open Data sources
Helsinki Region Infoshare http://www.hri.fi/fi
The National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service http://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/
NASA Earth Observatory http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/
National Aeronautics and Space Administration http://www.nasa.gov/
Neighborhood data http://blog.urbanmapping.com/
The European Space Agency http://www.esa.int/esaEO/index.html
Satellite imagery data http://www.digitalglobe.com/
Digital Elevation Data http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/
GeoNames and contributors http://www.geonames.org/
Geological Survey of Finland http://en.gtk.fi/
Finnish Security Intelligence Service http://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/supo60/home.nsf/pages/
OpenStreetMap contributors http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/51.500/-0.100
Traffic apps Russia https://mobile.yandex.ru/apps/maps/ipad/
Melbourne Traffic is designed to get real-time traffic information through live traffic cams and road condition alerts in a very easy function to use http://appcrawlr.com/ios/melbourne-live-traffic
INRIX® has the best traffic and road incident data for over 4 million miles of roads in over 32 countries. Major cities include: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Honolulu, Atlanta, Boston, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, San Diego, Phoenix, Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Calgary, Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Brasília, Rome, Milan, Napoli, Torino, Madrid, Barcelona. http://appcrawlr.com/ios/inrix-traffic-never-be-late-aga
Only covers Greater Los Angeles, Bay Area and San Diego http://appcrawlr.com/ios/california-traffic-report
Beat the Traffic is available for US and Canada. *Traffic report videos are currently only available for the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area. http://appcrawlr.com/ios/beat-the-traffic-2
Cities Covered: New York | Los Angeles | Chicago | Atlanta | Dallas | Houston | Miami | Washington | Boston | Philadelphia | Detroit | Columbus | Orlando | Charlotte | Minneapolis | Denver | Cleveland | Memphis | Hartford | Toledo | Dayton | Harrisburg | Birmingham | Seattle | Tampa | Pittsburgh | Indianapolis | Portland | Cincinnati || Las Vegas | St. Louis | Jacksonville | Baltimore | West Palm Beach | Salt Lake City | Austin | Kansas City | San Antonio | Louisville | Providence | Raleigh | Nashville | Milwaukee | Norfolk | Greensboro | Oklahoma City | Richmond | Buffalo | Rochester | Ft. Myers | Albany | Fresno | Grand Rapids | Albuquerque | New Orleans | Allentown | Worcester | Flint | Wichita | Greenville | Little Rock | Knoxville | Mobile | Tulsa | Lexington | Charleston | Wilkes-Barre | Omaha | Springfield | Syracuse | Lancaster | Spokane | Colorado Springs | Sacramento | San Diego | San Francisco | San Jose. http://appcrawlr.com/ios/sigalert-com-live-traffic-repor
wsbtv.com Traffic provides real-time traffic maps for Atlanta. http://appcrawlr.com/ios/wsbtv-com-traffic
TrafficFlow is supported for all major roads and streets in all states in the United States. TrafficSmart cameras are located in and near over 100 US metropolitan areas, including: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boise, Boston, Buffalo, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Colorado Springs, Columbus, Dallas, Daytona Beach, Denver, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Greenville, Hampton Roads, Hartford, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Long Island, Los Angeles, Louisville, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Haven, New Orleans, New York City, Newark, Ogden, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Provo, Raleigh, Riverside, Rochester, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Seattle, St Louis, Tampa, & Washington DC. States NOT SUPPORTED YET by TrafficSmart cameras: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, & West Virginia. http://appcrawlr.com/ios/trafficsmart-usa-premier-view-s
MALAYSIA's BEST Traffic App Just got better! By Popular DEMAND, 831 AES Camera Locations all over Malaysia! The BEST 1-Stop Traffic Information app in Malaysia. http://appcrawlr.com/ios/trafficpad
Marketing decisions http://www.acxiom.com/
Risk analyses http://www.corelogic.com/
Business listings data http://www.neustarlocaleze.biz/directory/index.aspx http://www.factual.com/
Final Document and Presentation
Group work 2h Estimated individual usage 18.9-25.9.2014 4h