meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
Pentinkulma - Linux computer class - room 6218
This class has 20 linux computers which can be used locally or remotely with ssh or x-windows client. You login to computers using your university network account and password. Users university network storage is mounted as home directory for you. This means that linux software will make their configuration files in same place, these are files and folders beginning with “.”-letter.
Software in these computers are mostly GPL licensed or otherwise free software, which are available in most common linux distros. Matlab is available in all of these computers using command matlab.
Usage Rules for pentinkulma computer class
Of course you have to follow university general internet and computer usage rules, you agreed for that when you got your university computer account. Following rules are specific to pentinkulma computer class.
- Report faulty computers to email@example.com.
- Do not reboot faulty computers yourself, there might be important background calculations going on. If you accidently rebooted computers in pentinkulma, report that using firstname.lastname@example.org address.
- Do not reboot, shutdown or start computers yourself in pentinkulma computer class. If you think some of these actions should be done, please contact email@example.com.
- Do not leave desktop locked, remember to logoff from computers.
- If you have to run programs longer period, please use screen commmand line utility for that. (look next rule too)
- Use nice command line utility for background calculations, that way desktop users get cpu cycles when needed.
Punishment for not following these rules is that you account is first disabled in specific computer in pentinkulma and if that's not enough then it's disabled from all pentinkulma computers.
Courses using linuxclass (2011-2012)
- CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
- RAM: 8GB
- 320GBGB hard disk
- OS: Ubuntu 11.04 LTS
- Desktop: KDE, Gnome and LXDE
- gcc version 4.5.2
- Sun java 1.6.0
OS and software information
- 64-bit Ubuntu linux (11.04 LTS)
- Gnome, KDE and LXDE desktops (ubuntu-, kubuntu- and lubuntu-desktop packages installed)
- Acrobat reader, Flash and java plugins, lot of media support for players and browsers.
- Openoffice 3 with english and finnish spell checker and hyphenation
- matlab R2011a using university network license and Octave, open source alternative for matlab with lot of libraries for octave.
- Visual Paradigm Suite for UML design
- Eclipse 3.5 (ide for C, C++, java and python development with support for cvs and subversion)
- Netbeans (java, C, C++ )
- Sun java 6 jdk, openjdk, gcj
- most of gnu compilers (gcc, g++, gfortran) and common compiler tools ex. make, automake bison, flex…
- OpenGL programming libraries, DRI accelerated openGL activated by default.
- and lot of other tools and packages
Visual Paradigm (not available at moment)
Visual Paradigm is a UML modeling tool with very rich capabilities for the modeling purposes. Tool functionalities are usable on IT research and teaching on LUT. Visual Paradigm is build on java so it works in linux as well.
Visual paradigm standard version is installed to pentinkulma computers with academic license, it's started with command:
First time use
When used first time, user have to import license key for academic use. Program open license key manager where is 'impor license' function which is used to import academic license.
Choose workspace location for design files:
If license key manager is shown, use import key function:
Choose license file from location:
Name of computers
Names for linuxcomputer comes from characters found in “Täällä pohjantähden alla” book,
- lut1809.pc.lut.fi alias aadolf.pc.lut.fi
- lut1810.pc.lut.fi alias akseli.pc.lut.fi
- lut1811.pc.lut.fi alias aku.pc.lut.fi
- lut1812.pc.lut.fi alias aleksi.pc.lut.fi
- lut1813.pc.lut.fi alias aliina.pc.lut.fi
- lut1814.pc.lut.fi alias alma.pc.lut.fi
- lut1815.pc.lut.fi alias anttoo.pc.lut.fi
- lut1816.pc.lut.fi alias aulis.pc.lut.fi
- lut1817.pc.lut.fi alias elina.pc.lut.fi
- lut1818.pc.lut.fi alias ellen.pc.lut.fi
- lut1819.pc.lut.fi alias emma.pc.lut.fi
- lut1820.pc.lut.fi alias hilkka.pc.lut.fi
- lut1821.pc.lut.fi alias janne.pc.lut.fi
- lut1822.pc.lut.fi alias jussi.pc.lut.fi
- lut1823.pc.lut.fi alias kaarina.pc.lut.fi
- lut1824.pc.lut.fi alias oskari.pc.lut.fi
- lut1825.pc.lut.fi alias otto.pc.lut.fi
- lut1826.pc.lut.fi alias preeti.pc.lut.fi
- lut1827.pc.lut.fi alias valdemar.pc.lut.fi
- lut1828.pc.lut.fi alias vilho.pc.lut.fi
- lut1829.pc.lut.fi alias voitto.pc.lut.fi
Packet Destroyer (not available at moment)
preeti.pc.ut.fi and voitto.pc.lut.fi are connected to packet destroyer router, which can be used between these computers. These two computers are connected to 192.168.10.0 network and there is router destroying randomly data which goes through it.