meta data for this page
Exercise 1 : Setting up Python Maemo Environment for Development
Simple steps for setting up the Python Maemo development environment in a virtual machine is listed below :
- Step 1 : Virtual Machine Installation
- VM Ware (recommended)
- VM Ware is already installed in ML 6218
- Step 2 : Download virtual image file of Maemo environment
- Download File : Maemo_Ubuntu_Lucid_Desktop_SDK_Virtual_Image_Final.7z
- For convenience this file is already downloaded in ML 6218 and it can be found in /opt/VMWARE/ directory]
- Step 3 : Extract the Image File
- Extract image file using 7-zip recommended
- p7zip packages are installed in ML 6218
- Step 4 : Execute
- Locate and Execute the maemosdk_desktop_lucid-36-2.vmx file from the extracted directory
- or play using VMWARE player
- Step 5 : Account Credentials
- Username : maemo
- Password : maemo
Maemo environment is up and running now!
We need to make some updates so
- Step 5 : Update
- $ sudo apt-get update
- Step 6 : Setting x86 development targets
- $ sb-conf se FREMANTLE_X86
- Step 7 : Log in to ScratchBox
- $ /scratchbox/login
- For log in credentials see Step 5.
Now Python environment needs to be set up (PyMaemo)!
- Step 8 : Edit and update /etc/apt/sources.list
- Add source line
- deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ fremantle free non-free
- Step 9 : Resynchronize the changes made.
- Now resynchronize your package index files with the following command:
- maemo@maemo-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get update
- Step 10 : Install Python 2.5
- [sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > apt-get install python-sdk
Finally, Python Maemo (PyMaemo) environment is set up.
Test your first Hello World!!
- Start Xypher (To run Maemo SDK from desktop)
- maemo@maemo-desktop:~$ /usr/local/bin/start_xephyr.sh
- Write your hello world python code
- or get one from here hello_world.py
- Execute it
- ./your_code.py OR
- run-standalone.sh ./your_code.py
- Whats the difference in these two run methods?
Important sources and references :