meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
Green IT3: Sustainability Indicators
Here are some articles that I found about Green IT:
- short article about the basics of green IT.
- The authors, Harmon & Auseklis list here the factors that drive the adoption on green it:
1. growth of the internet, 2. increasing equipment power density, 3. increasing cooling requirements, 4. increasing energy costs, 5. restrictions on energy supply and access, 6. low server utilization rates, 7. growing awareness of IT's impact on the environment
- Some strategies on reducing the impact on environment:
1. data center infrastructure, 2. power and workload management, 3. thermal load management, 4. product design, 5. virtualization, 6. cloud computing and cloud services
Hoover, J. 2008. 10 Ideas to Power up Your Green IT Agenda, Information week, issue 1203.
- interesting short article with 10 facts on green IT. Practical examples what famous companies are doing with sustainability issues.
I succesfully took the survey that was linked in Noppa page.
I finished the course META101x: Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Individual task after first seminar:
Design a new “sustainabilility movement” starting from small individual actions and advance to societal impact. The purpose of this is to find concrete action for example in waste management, enargy usage, …. Present how the action could be expanded to society movement (like the whole village would participate in waste management). Deadline by the second seminar time.
My personal sustainability movement would be called “Take a look at your closet”. Now seriously, go and take a look at your closet and count how many pieces of clothing there are. While doing this you may find that the majority of those clothes have not been worn in ages. That's a simple result of clothing stores' agressive marketing tactics and sales that make you buy things that you don't need in addition to the fact that it is on the manufacturers intrest that the clothes are soon out of fashion.