meta data for this page
Personal home work
http://www.greenit.net/whygreenit.html This website explains briefly about Green IT, it's necessity, how Green IT innovation leads the way to Sustainability and so on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlv5-iuyriA Again, in this video green technology and sustainability are explained very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEw3Z3vTba0 Finally, how Green IT saves money and energy, innovation, growth, sustainability, environment is explained in this video.
Individual task after first seminar:
There are some concrete actions to design a new sustainability movement. These are as follows:
1. Every person should be aware of wasting energy and natural resources such using electricity, gas, water and so on.
2. People should be also careful using toxic material and materials which are not decomposed easily such as poly-ethane, plastic and so on.
3. People should separate their different waste in different sections such as glass, plastic, papers, bio,metals, chemicals and so on.
4. Government should encourage people to use bike or public transportation instead of own vehicle.
5. In every house/apartment a pipeline (Chute) can be used to transfer bio waste to bio gas plant. From this plant people can get energy.
6. Government should take strict action against deforestation.
7. Government should take necessary steps to control population growth.
8. Government should take necessary steps to use re-new able energy as much as possible such as solar power, wind power and so on.
Individual task after the third seminar
Objective tree The main goal is to create a sustainable open air festival. Then, the first level of objectives are to make the event economically, environmentally and socially sustainable. The goal and first level of objectives are shown in fig. 1
The objective to make the event economically sustainable is explained in fig. 2. This objective mainly divided into two sub- objectives such as to ensure the minimal cost for the event and to ensure enough revenue from the event. After that these sub- objectives are broke down several into several levels.
Again, the objective to make the event environmentally sustainable is broke down into mainly two categories. These are as follows: To ensure after event activities such as cleaning the venue and to ensure enough public transportation system to reduce environment pollution which are shown in fig. 3
Finally, in fig. 4 the objective to make the event socially sustainable is shown. This objective is broke down into two ensuring proper safety and security.
The imaginary data for drawing radar diagram of sustainability indicators are shown in Table 1.
ff.xlsx Table 1 : Data of indicators
The radar diagram is shown in fig.5 with the indicators of three pillars.
Group Work after the second seminar:
Amoeba Approach in perspective of Bangladesh
Group Members: Imtiaz Ahmed and Masudul Haque Talukdar
Edx Course result
4 exam questions representing the course contents
1. Describe Ecological or carrying capacity root of sustainability. (It is the main root of sustainability. Thus, student must know about this root.)
2. Describe the AMOEBA approach and give one example of it. (It is important because it is the best approach as a sustainability indicator. Student at least know this approach properly. )
3. What are the steps of Imagine Approach? (It is so important for Systemic Sustainability Analysis (SSA). So, it is worth to learn by students.)
4. Describe two ways by which the whole world could be more sustainable. (After completing this course students should think how they can take part to change the world and how the world can be more sustainable and better for living )
Answer to the course questionnaire
1. Carrying capacity indicates an ecological system can only sustain a certain density of individuals because each individual utilizes resources in that system. That certain density is known as carrying capacity. When the number of individuals exceed the carrying capacity it results in overuse of resources and eventual collapse of the population.
2. AMOEBA is a general method for ecosystem description and assessment. It is highly visual approach and easy to understand. Sustainability is summarized in visual terms as AMOEBA with a clear, even if subjective, sense of a target. It has a very practical feel, primarily because it was designed to be used as a decision-making tool in environmental management. But the AMOEBA is fundamentally based on numbers, it does not in itself provide any information on the mechanisms involved in the changes.
3. The steps of Imagine Approach are as follows:
Step 1 - Identify the stakeholders and the system,
Step 2 - Identify the main SIs,
Step 3 - Identify the band of equilibrium (i.e. the reference condition),
Step 4 - The development of the AMOEBA diagram,
Step 5 - The extension of the AMOEBA over time.
4. The two ways by which the whole world could be more sustainable are as follows:
Learning: Without learning people can not realize the importance of sustainability. Though sustainability becomes a buzzword but still people do not pay expected attention on it. But if it is possible to teach people about sustainability even in primary level then the situation might be changed.
Making sustainable product profitable: Most of the people specially, the businessman will not find any interest to make or use sustainable products if there is no financial benefit. For this reason government should take necessary steps such as imposing more taxes on unsustainable products, reducing taxes from sustainable products, giving easy loan to the entrepreneur who wants to produce sustainable products and so on.
TASK_LATE: FIRST SEMINAR TIME:
Sustainability has ever more turn into vital to business research and perform over the past decades for rapid reduction of natural resources. The idea of sustainable development has evolved into definitions of the three pillars of sustainability such as social, economic and environmental. Environmental sustainability is properly defined by focusing on its biogeophysical features. The recent economic and financial crisis has facilitated to newly term economic sustainability. Concept of defining and measuring sustainable development can broadly be divided into two types such as weak and strong sustainability. The idea of weak sustainability assumes that manufactured and natural capitals are close substitutes but the thought of strong sustainability denies the degree of substitution. The progress of sustainability indicators indicates the measurement of sustainability. The development of sustainability indicator is not only a course of scientific facts invention but also a procedure of political compromise. Since there is no universally accepted meaning and measuring techniques exist, different approaches direct to diverse assessments. Technology on hardware level can be used to save energy and decrease emissions. The cloud is a tool to green IT. It might be used to become more eco-friendly than many other ways to reduce energy consumption in organizations.